NEWNAN, Ga. (Dec. 18, 2009) – The Centers for Disease Control reports that in the first week of December, there were 16 confirmed pediatric deaths due to strains of H1N1 and influenza. Though pandemic flu activity seems to be decreasing, the virus is still taking a heavy toll on children.
For the safety of patients and visitors, Piedmont Newnan Hospital would like to remind community members of the new visitation guidelines during this flu season. Some of the changes include:
- Only two visitors at a time will be permitted to visit a patient.
- No children or teenagers under the age of 18 years old are permitted in the hospital during this public health crisis UNLESS seeking medical attention.
- Pregnant women should not enter unless you are seeking treatment.
If you are sick with flu-like symptoms, please do not visit patients. Remember that flu symptoms sometimes may not show for one or two days but you are still contagious. It is vitally important not to visit patients unless it is absolutely necessary. Instead, please call 770-253-1912 and request a patient’s room telephone number so that you may contact the patient by phone.
Family members of all ages may be exempted from the following restrictions at the discretion of the hospital due to extenuating circumstances, such as end of life situations. However, all persons with influenza-like illness will be required to wear a mask at all times while within the facility.
Below are the visitation guidelines for this flu season:
In all inpatient units:
- Visitors with any symptoms of influenza-like illness will not be allowed.
- Visitors (including siblings) under the age of 18 are not allowed.
- Only two people may visit an inpatient at a time.
- Any visitor may be asked to wear a mask or other protective attire when visiting. Visitors who do not comply with instructions on wearing of such apparel will be asked to leave.
Adult Critical Care and Oncology Units:
- Visitors will be limited to spouses/significant others, parents or direct caregivers (son, daughter, or other immediate family member responsible for care).
Women’s Services (Labor & Delivery, Post-partum, and Nursery):
- Visitors will be limited to parents and grandparents (in the case of infants) and spouse/significant other/support person and grandparents only for laboring and post-partum women.
- Siblings under the age of 18 will not be allowed.
- Tours for expecting families will not be offered during the flu season to protect the women and new babies on the floors as well as the pregnant mothers participating in the tour.
- No one under the age of 18 allowed unless seeking medical attention.
- No pregnant women unless seeking medical attention.
- Only one visitor per patient allowed within the Emergency Department.
- Additional persons accompanying a patient to the Emergency Department may be asked to wait in an alternate location.