Newnan, Ga. (May 22, 2012) – Piedmont Newnan Hospital experienced a week of firsts in its’ new home on Poplar Road. Current patients were transferred, doctors began surgeries, babies were born, and new patients were admitted. Looking back on this historical week in the new location, below are several firsts that occurred in the hospital:
“We are extremely excited to be settling in to our new home,” said Michael Bass, president and CEO, Piedmont Newnan Hospital. “With all of the hard work our hospital team has put into opening this facility, the transition to Poplar Road was seamless. Within the first 24 hours, we had already performed the first surgery and delivered the first baby in the new facility. We’re looking forward to creating even more successful firsts in the future.”
- The first surgery took place on Monday, May 7 in the evening. 17-year-old, Darian Jackson, underwent an emergency appendectomy to remove her ruptured appendix.
- The first physician to perform surgery in the new hospital was Newnan native, Cliff Cranford, M.D.
- The first current patient to arrive from the former location was Newnan resident Christopher Wright at 5:22 a.m. on Tuesday, May 8.
- Kimberly Gomez-Elvira was the first baby born at the new hospital on Tuesday, May 8 at 7:55 p.m. to Grantville residents Julia and Ramiro Gomez.
- Neely Dean, M.D., was the first obstetrician to deliver a baby in one of the state-of-the-art Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) suites. Sharon Peppers, R.N. and Taralyn Sams, R.N. were the first nurses to care for the newborn.
- The first gift bought at the Poplar Shop, the Auxiliary-run gift shop, was a summer tote by Renee McGraw.
- The first menu in Bistro 745, the new cafeteria at the hospital, offered a breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, grits and biscuits to staff and family members of patients who were transferred from the Hospital Road campus to the Poplar Road campus.
The new Piedmont Newnan Hospital on Poplar Road officially opened on Tuesday, May 8. The 136-bed acute-care hospital is now located at 745 Poplar Road. For more information on the new hospital and the services offered, visit piedmontnewnan.org.